|Broccoli and white onion quiche served with a side salad|
This is an easy quiche recipe that my sister got from Real Simple. Quiche is not only a great brunch item, but it makes for a perfect lunch or dinner meal when paired with a side salad.
Follow the basic Real Simple basic quiche recipe then add in your own toppings like broccoli, mushroom, onion, etc.
Real Simple Basic Quiche
- 1 9-inch refrigerated piecrust (I use a whole wheat kind)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 8 ounces Gruyere, grated (you can also use fresh shredded parmesan cheese for a lighter option)
- 2 cups chopped vegetables of choice (mushroom, broccoli, asparagus, etc)
- Heat oven to 375° F. Fit the crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Place on a baking sheet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions and vegetable of choice and ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir in the onion mixture and the Gruyère.
- Pour the egg mixture into the crust. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes.